Women reported having a more positive childbirth experience when using a Doula. Studies have shown that having a doula as a member of a mother’s birth team decreases the overall cesarean rate by 50%, the length of labor by 25%, the use of oxytocin by 40%, and requests for an epidural by 60%.
What is a Doula?
A Doula is a trained childbirth and childcare helper. This is a non-medical person who provides emotional and physical support to a woman, partner and family during pregnancy and childbirth. Doulas perform many different tasks, depending on the expectant mother’s needs and wants. Including but not limited to:
- Answer questions about the birthing process
- Help parents understand labor and delivery procedures
- Help parents develop the birth plan
- Assist during the labor process to provide comfort and support
- Use massage to help the mother relax
- Make sure the mother receives adequate nutrition and fluids
- Communicate parents’ preferences to the labor & delivery staff
- Involve and reassure the mother’s partner
- Provide support and encouragement after baby comes home
- Teach parents how to care for their new baby
- Assist with breastfeeding
- Help make an easy transition for the baby and rest of the family
Interested in hiring a doula? Click here to find a doula in your area.
How to become a Professional Doula
If helping a woman in her most wonderful time of life sounds like something you’d love, you might want to consider a career in it. You can become a certified doula online with Madriella.org. Madriella is a licensed, certified online doula training facility that offers several different types of certifications. You can also get hands-on training given by approved workshop providers, experienced doulas that want to pass on their knowledge to other women (which is the heart of the Madriella philosophy).
If you are seeking a career in helping women, and being part of their most challenging and rewarding time of their life, consider a career as a doula!
There’s also a discount for active duty military or active duty dependent.
In short, Madriella.org makes becoming a doula affordable and accessible to everyone, as well as connecting you to a close and supportive community.